I’ve never been a big resolution maker because I know myself well enough to know that I would break them all in the first two weeks anyway.
Still…if I did make some general ones, this is what they would be.
- Worry less, enjoy things and people more
- Continue looking for opportunities to bless people. Sometimes my best conversation of the day is with someone in the drive-through line at Chik-Fil-A. (Not sure if this is terribly sad or terribly profound but it’s true.)
- Whine less. This is a continual challenge for me. Every time I go on a rant about something (I’ve been sick for almost 3 weeks…woe is me) I hear about someone whose child is dying of cancer or whose friend was injured in a car wreck.
- Worry less about what people think of me. Why is it so dang important that everyone think I’m awesome anyway? This might be one of my most annoying traits.
- Get outside my comfort zone more often to help people. For some reason, the homeless have been on my mind a lot. Last summer, I bought a bunch of gift cards to fast food restaurants and started passing them out. I know, it doesn’t solve the problem but at least I’m doing something. I want to expand my horizons this year in this regard.
- Be more grateful for what I have. My youngest son, Jordan, comes by this naturally. From babyhood on, he always sees the best in things and people and his grateful heart continues to inspire and challenge me.
Now you know why I don’t make resolutions as all these things sound wonderful but are WAY harder to do than to write. Still…if I’m conscious of them, maybe I will be more aware and hit the mark a little more often.
I just looked up the difference between a goal and a resolution and it’s this… a goal is something you keep in front of you every day. A resolution is something you wish could happen to you. I think I will stick with calling these resolutions and maybe next year I can make my way up to goals!!
The other day I wrote a New Years’ letter and it was a good reminder of the best things that happened in 2017. So here they are in no particular order!
- Jordan got married to Zoe, who is as sweet as they come.
- Kaitlyn finished her internship and passed the test to become a registered dietitian.
- Molly and Joel had their third child and first boy in June.
- Ben got engaged to Rachel Hardt, so the family keeps expanding! They will get married in April.
- Marta moved back to the Midwest (although probably not for long!) as she wants to study to become a Sommelier and move to Seattle.
- Jon moved from Franklin to Fort Wayne and got a good job at Costco.
- Brent and I started a whole new phase of life with our RV adventure, and although we’ve had some bumps along the way, it’s forcing us to reboot which I think is healthy and probably needed.
So….in keeping with number six in my first list I’m very grateful for all the blessings during this past year and want to wish you all a TOTALLY AWESOME 2018! Thanks so much for coming along on this ride with us!